Cases can be as different as clients, which makes it almost impossible to provide an accurate estimate of just how long your personal injury case will take to litigate from start to finish. Some cases are settled in weeks or months, while others take years to resolve.
The length of a personal injury, dangerous drug, or defective medical device case can be influenced by a number of factors, including:
- Whether fault for the accident or injury is in dispute. Cases where fault is disputed may take longer as both sides work to build and present their evidence.
- Severity and prognosis of injuries. In cases involving serious injuries, it's in the best interest of the accident victim to wait until they've reached maximum medical improvement and received a release from their doctor before settling to ensure the accepted offer is sufficient to meet their needs.
- Potential for significant damages. Cases where the settlement amount is potentially large will be investigated extensively before the insurance company or civil defendant makes an offer. Sometimes this delay is intentional, as insurance adjusters or at-fault parties may hope to wait you out in order to get you to accept a smaller settlement.
- Who is involved. Disputes between individuals may be settled more quickly than disputes between individuals and corporations with corporate legal counsel. Fortunately, hiring an experienced personal injury attorney can help level the playing field and potentially speed up the litigation process.
- Out-of-court settlements vs. court determinations. Most personal injury cases are settled out of court. However, sometimes a case makes it all the way to the courtroom, which can dramatically extend the length of a lawsuit. For example, it can take up to six months for the case to get a trial date; then, the trial itself can last for days, weeks or months.
Do You Need an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney?
After an accident or injury, victims may face mounting medical expenses and a number of related financial worries, so it's no wonder that so many of our clients are concerned about how long it might take to receive their settlements. While the legal team of McGartland Law can't predict the future, we can commit to fighting to help you secure the financial award you need and deserve as quickly as possible. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for a free initial case consultation.